The best prevention methods are reduced exposure, hand washing and proper hygiene.
Alpha-1 is a genetic condition and many people with it are healthy and well. For this group, the risk to your health due to COVID-19 is the same as someone your age without a diagnosis of Alpha-1 and you should follow your government's advice which is likely to stay at home as much as possible right now.
However, some people with Alpha-1 have lung diseases like COPD and Obstructive airway disease in which the walls of the alveoli (air sacs) are damaged or destroyed. and are therefore more vulnerable to the effects of viral infections like COVID-19. If you have lung (or liver) disease caused by Alpha-1 it is best to exercise extreme caution in order to avoid the risk of infection with COVID-19. This should involve self-isolation to ensure your safety as a vulnerable person with a serious health condition. Self-isolation means staying indoors and completely avoiding contact with other people.
Alpha-1 Specific Links
Our Favourite Links
- Coronavirus - World Health Organization
- Coronavirus Map: Tracking the Spread of the Outbreak
- Questions & Answers - World Health Organization
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary - CDC
- WorldOMeter - Listing of cases. Lots of stats.
- These are the most trusted Coronavirus resources and websites we’ve found: No panicking, just preparing - Cool Mom Picks
Lots of great links to great sources.
- Coronavirus: Can Face Masks Protect You From Catching Deadly Virus? - Independent
Important info for anyone with a mask or who is thinking of getting a mask to protect from COVID-19.
- USA - CDC - What you should know, cases in the U.S., etc.
- UK - GOV.UK - Information for the public on the outbreak of coronavirus in China, including the current situation in the UK and information about the virus and its symptoms.
- Canada - Government of Canada - Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak update
- Australia - Australian Government - Information and regular health alerts
- New Zealand - NZ Ministry of Health - This section provides the latest updates, information and advice on COVID-19.