In people with Alpha-1, the Alpha-1 protein is mutated and gets stuck in the liver which can cause liver problems. But because the protein is stuck in the liver, it cannot get to the lungs to protect them, which can cause lung problems.
Lung disease symptoms typically occur in adults. These symptoms include shortness of breath, coughing, bronchiectasis, and frequent chest colds. Bronchiectasis is an illness that causes the tubes leading to the lungs to be permanently widened and leads to infections
- Understanding Lung Disease – AlphaNet
- Understanding Pulmonary Function Testing; PFTs, Blood Gases and Oximetry – AlphaNet
- Understanding Pulmonary Exacerbations – AlphaNet
- Individual Health Management Plan; A long-term guide for Alphas with Lung Disease – AlphaNet
- Medications for Alpha-1 Lung Disease – AlphaNet
- Oxygen Therapy – AlphaNet